Ever since its official registration in 1998, CDFJ has adhered to law and has never received an official notification to change its status
The measure taken by the Company Control Department is part of a wider campaign that targets Civil Society Organizations. There is a misunderstanding of law and a retreat of Jordan’s international obligation
CDFJ stresses the strength of its legal positon and underlines that it has been in full compliance with Jordan’s laws since it was established some 20 years ago.
Responding to news report published in Addustour Daily entitled “Company Control Department CCD sends CDFJ file to General Prosecutor,” CDFJ said in a statement released today that it has not yet received any notification with regard to the letter or memo mentioned in the newspaper. It emphasizes that the center is officially and legally registered according to the law since 1998 and has never received any official notification of any violation to the law committed by CDFJ.
In the statement, CDFJ demands to clarify the specific violation of the law CDFJ is accused of committing. The news report states that CCD accuses CDFJ of registering as civil company while acting as non-profit company and receiving fund for its activities.
CDFJ describes what happen as a “violation of constitutional rights and a contradiction to Jordan’s international obligations stated in international treaties ratified by the Kingdom”
CDFJ also considers CCD’s step as part of “wider campaign targeting civil society organizations in an attempt to restrict and control its work, harm its image and reputation among public”.
Following is the full statement released by CDFJ today:
- CDFJ is surprised to read a news report published on Sunday 10 September at the front page of Addustour Daily newspaper entitled “Company Control Department sends CDFJ file to General Prosecutor” particularly when CDFJ has neither received nor notified of the memo mentioned in the newspape.
- CDFJ was established in 1998 and registered at Company Control Department as a civil company. CDFJ has been working publicly and never received any official memo or notification regarding any violations to the law.
- The Center has adhered to the law since it was founded and has never broken any law. CDFJ is a well-known organization and has a good reputation inside and outside Jordan. Needless to say, CDFJ is respected and recognized by different partners for its professional work in defending and protecting media and its ability in implementing programs and activities to serve journalists and enhance their skills. Over the course of 20 years, CDFJ has implemented hundreds of activities where the distinguished audience include journalists, lawyers, and government officials. CDFJ has been successful in building strong relations and partnership with different stakeholders including the government of Jordan and its different affiliated entities.
- On 13th March 2017, CDFJ received an official letter from Company Controller notifying the center with his decision to form an audit mission for CDFJ.
- CDFJ responded positively with the audit mission and provided them with required documents within the framework of the law. We had a meeting with the Company Controller on the 5th of June and provided him with answers for all his questions and inquiries. The last letter was sent by CDFJ to the controller is dated on 20th of June and we have never heard back or received and feedback from the department since then.
- CDFJ is registered according to the Company Law and has never received any notification that it is not working in lines with its objectives. Nor it was informed to correct its situation.
- CDFJ could not yet understand the specific violation the center is accused of committing. CDFJ is confident that its work and services are in-line with the stated objectives.
- The Company Controller’s letter published, which CDFJ never received, includes misunderstanding of the law, violates constitutional rights and contradicts Jordan’s international obligations stated in the international treaties ratified by the Kingdom.
- With all respect to Company Controller, leaking and publishing and official letter to media before sending it to the Center violates the law and harms the image of CDFJ among the public.
- CDFJ respects the right of using justice and litigation, and will provide all the evidences to ensure its strong legal position.
- CDFJ believes that this step is a part of a wider campaign targeting civil society organizations in an attempt to restrict and control its work, harm its image and reputation among public as well as prevent it from advocating for society issues especially freedom of expression, media freedom, human rights and other issues related to reform and development.
- CDFJ shall retain its legal right to legally sue all those who offend or defame CDFJ or its employees.